I have just released this game:
https://market.android.com/details?id=monster.puzzle

It has okay visuals, okay gameplay, I think it even hits some
interesting key words. Yet it's not getting a lot of downloads.

I used to think you need to hit popular key words to be successful in
order to have organic growth, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
The popular key words are drowned with applications so you can't rank
high on searches.

How do you make an fresh new game app successful? Do you have to beg
for reviews from different websites?
Do you have to hit popular key words that don't have a lot of apps?

What's the trick?

Thank you for your time!