Hi all,

I've been thinking about battery life issues as a somewhat clueless
new user and what strikes
me is that there is between little and no debugging scaffolding to
profile what affects battery
life.

Currently there are some pretty high level guidelines:

1) not turning on your android saves battery life
2) turning on your android, but turning off all of the networking saves
   battery
3) turning on 3g drains battery life
4) turning on wifi drains battery life
5) turning on the GPS drains battery life
6) turning on the screen drains battery life.

Unfortunately, these are pretty useless from a dev standpoint since
they don't tell me
*how much* it drains battery life so I can make intelligent tradeoffs
against interactivity
vs. battery life.

It would be really really nice to either have some numbers to work
with, but much much
better would be to have some sort of profiler-like utitity -- sort of
a battery equivalent of
gprof, say -- to guide us to making more battery friendly apps. I
don't know about the
rest of the developers here, but I'm pretty sure that not too many of
us go about developing
apps wondering if we can set the battery drain speed record :)

Mike