You need to read up on the Android RIL (Radio Interface Layer) if you
want to communicate directly with the modem (e.g. send "AT" commands).
But if all you want to do is send and receive SMS, you can do that
using the SmsManager class.

e.g. http://mobiforge.com/developing/story/sms-messaging-android