Apparently I'm an idiot.

The problem is not with the ringtone, but with our activity, which
(when the screen is off) gets an onPause immediately after starting
up.

I guess the system is pausing the activity because the user can' see
it, and it doesn't want to waste effort running it. Does that mean we
need to move our playback works to a Service ?

Thanks,

Richard