Ok, I did not realize that. I had made the assumption that they were all
DB-based.

My real goal here was to just figure out the best (i.e. quickest) way to do
some operations that are not possible with the given content provider
methods, but at the same time avoid localizing them and then re-uploading
the to their native data stores. The reason I don't want to localize them is
that I am trying to provide a replacement service for an existing service on
the phone, so it must operate on the native content provider, otherwise it
is not nearly as useful. It needs to be fast, which it currently isn't if a
lot of data is present, which is common with this particular content. I need
to access and update the content relatively often (at least as often as the
app is started), so faster is better. If it was a rare occurrence, it
wouldn't be a terrible problem if it was a little slow.

Anyway, I guess I will have to figure out some other way, then. If anyone
has any suggestions, I welcome them :)

Thank you, Mark, for your explanation.
AT