1) Will the typical Android-enabled device be able to support USB
devices?  I know most PDAs today don't have USB Host support, which
throws a wrench into using a lot of external hardware.

Ans:-Yes. Lot of Android devices are available in the market they support
USB devices (espy Keyboard/NFC reader and Flash drive...etc)

This helpful to you:-
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/index.html

Eg:- Acer/TOSHIBA/eLocity (they gave Mini USB support also)

2) Will a device running Android typically have an interface (USB,
proprietary, whatever) that will allow a user to plug in an external
keyboard?

Ans:-Yes.

I have succeeded with Acer ICONIA.

BR