I purchased two books the other day.  Beginning Android 4 by apress
and Android for Programmers by Deitel.  I've gone through all the of
the steps to install java, eclipse, the latest android sdk (as well as
all the previous ones) and the adt plugin.  I went through the "Now"
sample project in the apress book and could not get the app to show up
in the emulator.  I started over numerous times and only once was I
able to get it to show up.  I couldn't figure out why and after trying
again another 10-15 times, it still won't appear in the emulator.

I then decided to try importing the first sample project from the
Deitel book in case I was doing something wrong before.  It also will
not appear in the emulator.

I'm not getting any errors in the console in eclipse but sometimes
(not always), I'm getting errors in the emulator that the
"Unfortunately system ui has stopped".

I really want to get this set up correctly so I can start learning how
to develop the apps but the fact that almost nothing works as
described in the books (and the google android tutorials) just makes
me want to scream.  I'm guessing it's something to do with my
configuration but I've done everything that I've read to do and as I
said, I'm not getting any errors reported in the console so I don't
know what else to do.

Can anyone suggest what else I can try to make this work?  Thanks.