I may just be overlooking something blatently obvious here but this
seems to be alluding me...

I have an app which routinely contacts my server requesting updates
(small amounts of data). Whilst the user is using my app I wish this
updating to continue, however when the app "closes" (i.e. the "home"
button is pressed and the app loses focus), I wish to stop the app
requesting updates from the server... simply because its unnecessary.
I realise an app is not actually "closed" when the home button is
pressed, however is there a method called which signifies a user has
"left" the application and started another/returned to the home
screen?

Thanks