I strongly recommend avoiding sharedUserId.  Note that once you publish an
app with this, you can never go back.  It will have a lot of subtle
repercussions on your app that you may not like -- everything from all of
the apps with the same shared user ID being batched together in accounting
for battery use, to your processes being killed when one of your apps with
the shared user ID is updated.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Justin Anderson <magouyaw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> If you want to share things like preferences between the different apps
> then you will want to make sure that you also give them the same
> sharedUserId attribute in the manifest:
>

> http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/manifest-element.html#uid
>
> Thanks,
> Justin Anderson
> MagouyaWare Developer
> http://sites.google.com/site/magouyaware
>

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Ryan Reeves <rreeves...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I am developing two applications that will share functionality via their
>> > activities. I would like to only allow applications signed with the same
>> > certificate to start these activities.
>> >
>> > My plan is to create a custom permission with protection level of
>> signature
>> > and apply that permission to exported activities in both applications.
>> > Either application can be installed first, so I will define the
>> permission
>> > in both application manifests.
>> >
>> > Are there problems with defining the same permission in multiple
>> > applications?  I plan to release both applications on the Android
>> market.
>>
>> AFAIK, that should work fine.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
>> http://commonsware.com | http://github.com/commonsguy
>> http://commonsware.com/blog | http://twitter.com/commonsguy
>>
>> _Android Programming Tutorials_ Version 4.1 Available!
>>
>> --
>>

>  --

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer