Recommendation2:

Consider offers other than $x/hr, as those give the vendor incentive
to be late.
Divide the project into handful of stages, and pay for each completed
stage, where both sides agree on 'completeness criteria'.
It will encourage the communication between both sides too, which is
very important with software projects.

Daniel