I am working on a app that needs a fair amount of user input, both text and
numbers. The input paradigm has to be very fast - there is little time to
jump between several screens to complete the input before a new set of data
input has to be made. "Fast" may not the the right word....in this scenario
I find it distracting to move through several screens (popup
dialogs/selection boxes included) to finish this input set and then return
to making observations to collect the data that has to be input. I could
use selection boxes, but I would like to find something else more clever.
Why? The competition uses that input mode, and I find their input method to
be slow and painful (to me - ie distracting from the observing component of
this user application).

The good news is the text is really just a small set of one, two, or three
letter codes plus 1-3 numbers. I was thinking of trying to make a small
keyboard that had the right codes and numbers to see if that input format
is faster and less distracting. I googled for android soft keyboard and
found references to the LatinIME and the sample SoftKeyboard in the sdk.
Most of the references I have found to these keyboards is translating them
into different languages. What I really need is a 4X4 grid (or maybe the
3X6 number grid will work) of keys where I can change the labels on the
keys depending on the different input conditions. Is it possible to change
the layout and number of keys using these tools, or do I have to roll my
own from scratch using the SoftKeyboard as a starting point?

Would it be easier/simpler to use a grid layout and just put 16 buttons in
it?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mark