I would have thought the same, too - AsyncTask or Thread - there's
something else going.

Here's what is called by doInBackground() - it's a loop through
possible moves until the first fit is found.
My Log.d("WTF"...) in the middle simply stops after a couple of
columns.

    private Boolean doSearchforSpot(){
        Boolean found = false;
        tileClass tile;
        int tileNum;
        BoardClass spot;
        int rot;
        int maxrot;
        int score = -1;
        int i = 0;

        // totally brain-less, brute-force, 1st fit.  Loop through
        // all open spots on the board, and check each tile in each
rotation
        // and return the first time a valid placement and score occurs.

        while ((i < deviceHandNumber) && (!found)) {
                tileNum = deviceHand[i];
                tile = tiles.get(tileNum);
                int row = TileExtents[TOP];
                int col = TileExtents[LEFT];
                while ((row <= TileExtents[BOTTOM]) && (!found)) {
                        while ((col <= TileExtents[RIGHT]) && (!found)) {

                                spot = board.get(ColRowGrid[col][row]);
                                if (!spot.occupied) {
                                        if (spot.facedown) {
                                                rot = 3;
                                                maxrot = 6;
                                        }
                                        else {
                                                rot = 0;
                                                maxrot = 3;
                                        }
                                        while ((rot < maxrot) && (!found)) {
                                                // set the rotation and check
for a score
                                                tile.setRotate(rot);
                                                Log.d("WTF","CRT "+col+"
"+row+" "+rot+"
"+tile.getScore(0)+" "+tile.getScore(1)+" "+tile.getScore(2));
                                                score =
placeTileOnBoard(spot.index, tileNum);

                                                if (score >= 0) {
                                                        // hey! we found a