The HashMap is valid when i put it in the Intent, and when I get it back it
is also valid.

UPDATE:

So I fixed this issue.  In my onActivityResult, I was iterating through the
HashMap like so:

Iterator<Entry<String, Boolean>> it = sc.entrySet().iterator();
while (it.hasNext()) {
HashMap.Entry pairs = (HashMap.Entry) it.next();
String contactId = pairs.getKey().toString();
boolean selected = (Boolean) pairs.getValue();
if (selected) {
selectedContactsText += getName(contactId) + ", ";
Log.d("Messenger", getName(contactId) + " was selected");
Log.d("Messenger", selectedContactsText + " is the text");
 }
it.remove(); // avoids a ConcurrentModificationException
}

However i noticed the last statement of the while loop was in fact removing
elements from the HashMap.
So I commented this line out and all works as intended.