Another approach that you could follow is to host the tcp connection inside
a service (http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html)

You can then access the service from any activity you want using the
binding pattern or through intents.
Just remember that your app may continue to live in background, and your
service will still be running unless the os kills it. It's up to you to
disconnect if the activities go in background or if you want to notify the
user that the connection is still up and running.

Remember also that service runs in the ui thread, so you will likely need
to run a different thread inside the service.

Hope this helps,

     Federico