I've been reading up on the GPS signal structure, and it's true that it
takes 12 1/2 minutes for the full sequence, but... and this is a big but...
the GPS time and GPS/UTC offset are sent with every sub frame, and they
come by every six seconds.
So you can forget about waiting 12 1/2 minutes. before being certain of the
time! It's synchronized every 6 seconds. Its all well explained
in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals