Thanks for the response b0b.

I realize MediaPlayer will not do the job for me - at least in 2.2. But, is
there any framework-level requirement that is stopping me from building the
newer media framework source and deploying it on 2.2? Perhaps this would
make my app prohibitively large? Or performance impact? (Since 2 instance
of media service will always be running) ??