Make sure that you call setFocusable(true) and setFocusableInTouchMode(true)
on the gallery view.

This one helped me doing what I wanted, but only for the first time. After first dragging,
its not working according to me.

You only need to call those once, when you first create the gallery view - after that calling it again shouldn't have any effect.

4. If all else fails, a dirty trick that might just work is that when the grid has no items left,

Its not what I want.

Neither is the focus staying on the grid... you may have to accept one or the other.

Did you try changing the order of setSelection() and requestFocus()?

Did you try calling draggableGrid.invalidate() after setSelection() and requestFocus()?