I've got a bit of a strange issue which seems to be affecting not only
the app I'm developing but also most published apps that use IAP.

For some reason, on some 3.x tablets I have tested on, Google Play
does not install correctly.  Cutting it short the end result is that
the tab has both the Google Play app AND the old Android Market app,
both working, both able to launch.  What this leads to is that any app
that tries to connect to the Market Billing Service crashes, all with
more or less the same output.

So this is what happens (as listed on the android dev guid):

You try to bind the market service:
boolean bindResult = mContext.bindService(
    new
Intent("com.android.vending.billing.MarketBillingService.BIND"), this,
    Context.BIND_AUTO_CREATE);

This returns true and our onServiceConnected is called:
public void onServiceConnected(ComponentName name, IBinder service) {
    mService = IMarketBillingService.Stub.asInterface(service);
  }

So as far as we know we are now successfully connected and can send
purchase requests as normal, except when we do it crashes because we
haven't actually connected correctly.  There is this little line
appearing in the logcat:
Finsky(5112): [1] InAppBillingProxyService.bindService: Failed to bind
to MarketBillingService

Except I have no idea where this is coming from or how to actually
test if we did bind successfully or not.  Does anybody have any idea
please?

I'd like to note again that this only happens when we end up in the
case of both the old Android Market and the new Google Play on the
same device and that this is happening on published apps.  Also I have
tried doing factory resets and the devices themselves but they just
refuse to update the market correctly.  The two in question are the
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Motorola Xoom 2, for those interested.

Thanks!