Simple step. But unusual.

Find the package name of the contact app. And make the same package
name for your own developed application.
When u r install ur new app. Mobile will match your package. if so ,
if the package name is already exists it will ask us to replace the
old app with new one without deleting the data...

But the funny thing in this, u are going to lose your inbuilt contacts
app permenantly...