Hi Folks,

I'm new, so be gentle.

I've been reading all the other posts about OOM and
OutOfMemoryException.

Its seems I can't discover a good way to deal with impending memory
exhaustion, and neither can anyone else.

It would be great to confirm that I should stop trying.

The essence is that as my code approaches the cliff, I can't find any
way to back away from the cliff from within my own code.  It seems I
am doomed to be pushed over at some point, and will be caught only by
the system itself without an opportunity to tell my user what
happened.

What I observe is that by the time my code has caught an
OutOfMemoryError, The VM is being shut down.  Thus my plans to inform
and gracefully exit are foiled.

Is this simply the state of affairs with Java on Android, or am I
missing something.

Thanks

thender.th

PS: It is also apparent the the available bits of information about
allocated memory cannot be relied upon to keep you away from the edge
of the cliff.