On 25 Jun., 02:26, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> Why do you care if there is a <perms> tag?
Because I figured that is what controls which Permissions can be used
by apps. At least for apps stored in "user space" (/data/app/) this
seems to be true. As stated here, you can revoke permissions granted
at installation by editing the packages.xml file:
http://elinux.org/Android_Security#Changing_application_security_permissions_after_installation

> applications in the system image must still explicitly request the
> permissions they need, and they have to follow the rules as anyone else:
What do you mean by "explicitely request"? List them in their
AndroidManifest.xml?

> The only > exception is the "signatureOrSystem" permission type, which
> means the > permission can be granted to an app signed with the same
> cert (whether it is in the system image or a third party app), *or* to any
> app installed on the system image.  There are a handful of such
> permissions, but it isn't the common case.
Does this only apply for all permissions protected by
"signatureOrSystem", or does this also apply to permissions with a
"lower" protection level such as "dangerous"?
I.e., is there a relation regarding protection level strictness like:
signature > signatureOrSystem > dangerous > normal?
So that apps in /system/app/ will be granted permissions with a
protection level equal to or below "signatureOrSystem"?

If the above does not hold, will system apps just not be granted
"dangerous" protection level permissions? Because as far as I can
judge from my packages.xml, many system apps there make use of
"dangerous" permissions.

> As for why there are no permissions stored in packages.xml: there is no
> need, because they can just be re-evaluated each boot when scanning the
> packages.
Then why are they stored for user apps (stored in /data/app/)?

> If you use the package manager APIs to find out the permissions that are
> held by each app, you will see that the system applications are granted the
> permissions they request as per the rules.
Again: What dou you mean by "request"? Putting them in your
AndroidManifest.xml? Because for all apps I wrote, I never explicitely
requested any permission in my code. Only through the Manifest file.

Chris Stratton:
> Yes, but wanting to understand how things work is an endemic amongst
> engineers.
Exactly :D

Sorry if this is the wrong group, I was referred here by someone else.