I'm trying to implement the project in the Android site's "Managing the
Activity Lifecycle" training exercise at
http://developer.android.com/training/basics/activity-lifecycle/index.html .

The instructions don't say how to set it up. A *.zip file is provided, but
I can't figure out how to get it to work. No matter what I do, there are
errors that keep the project from running.

What is the proper procedure for getting this project to work?

Yes, I have not only completed the Building Your First App tutorial but
also published an app on Google Play. (It's a fun little app called Upgrade
Your Cereal.)  So I have experience in starting and completing projects,
but this is the first time I've tried to start a project SOLELY from a
*.zip file.