Evan Charlton wrote:
> All,
>
> I shut down my PC (running Ubuntu 8.10, fully updated) overnight and
> when I booted the following day, `adb devices` failed to recognize my
> stock, OTA-updated, RC30 G1. I followed the instructions listed here:
> http://code.google.com/android/intro/develop-and-debug.html#developingondevicehardware
>
> e...@evan-desktop:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
> e...@evan-desktop:~$ adb kill-server && adb devices
> * daemon not running. starting it now *
> * daemon started successfully *
> List of devices attached
> emulator-5554 offline
>
> To answer some preliminary questions:
>  - Yes, I have my phone on.
>  - It's on a USB 2.0 port.
>  - Yes, it sees the emulator(s), but not my device.
>  - Yes, "USB debugging" is enabled on the phone (and I tried toggling it).
>  - I've rebooted both the phone and the PC.
>  - I'm using the latest the 1.0_r2 SDK from the site.
>  - I'm on 64-bit Ubuntu, but it also fails to work in my 32-bit VM
> (that also previously worked).
>
> I spent a few hours in the #android-dev channel with a few very
> helpful people, but we got nowhere.
> Any help is enormously appreciated!

Do you have another PC you can try connecting the phone into, even if
just in USB mass storage mode? Do you have another mini-USB cable you
can try?

BTW, I am on the same environment as you (64-bit Ubuntu 8.10) and
haven't had a problem once I got it working a couple of months ago. So,
if you need to know any specific settings I have, just ask.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com