You should move the heavyweight lifting stuff to a Service if you
don't want it to be stopped.
Running background music is something that a background service should
take care of. Here's another thread response from Dianne-
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/112189a9893a6462/f66bf1a5848c2c45?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=background+music#f66bf1a5848c2c45

Then again, I don't know  all your requirements, so I will stop at
that.

Chander