Except in some cases (e.g. with that goofy Galaxy Note device).  To quote
the guide:

*Note:* These minimum screen sizes were not as well defined prior to
Android 3.0, so you may encounter some devices that are mis-classified
between normal and large. These are also based on the physical resolution
of the screen, so may vary across devices—for example a 1024x720 tablet
with a system bar actually has a bit less space available to the
application due to it being used by the system bar.

Hopefully they will get things worked out with the upgrade to ICS.

Doug