In case anyone encounters this issue:

Based on the acceleration values one gets during a screen flip I think
the accelerometer is mounted on the screen assembly so they probably
can't be powered independently. If this is the case it's obviously a
hardware implementation decision that Android should hide. Don't be
surprised if future phones exhibit different behavior because the
accelerometer is housed in a different location.