So you're saying that you moved the string resources out of your project,
and now other resources that are referencing those strings are now failing?
If so, that is what I would expect. :}

The new aapt in Cupcake allows you to specify multiple paths to search for
resource definitions; you could trying using that, and changing it to point
to both your app's resources and your external string resources.  That would
of course require having your own build ant script or whatever.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.