Ok, all is working now.
The problem came from wanting to only enable the "ok" button once a minimum
number of characters had been entered.
I was doing this through setOnKeyListener - this blocked the soft keyboard
appearing automatically (if the user touched the edittext, the soft
keyboard showed anyway).
So, I have removed this call and now use the following with success :
getDialog().getWindow().setSoftInputMode(WindowManager.LayoutParams.SOFT_INPUT_STATE_VISIBLE);