Here is what we did when faced with a similar need.  We used an off
the shelf Android tablet computer from Best Buy and then connected it
to a custom circuit board with Bluetooth.  The custom board had a PIC
micro controller and did all the industrial I/O.  The Android tablet
did the user interface and the bulk of the application.