On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM, 3D <ernestgfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using a SAXParser to parse an XML document and its getting stuck
> on certain symbols like the 'trademark' symbol and I think even double-
> quotes ".  I really don't need these characters so it would be fine if
> the parser just skips over these.  Instead it throws an exception and
> quits parsing the document.  What can I do?

XML is very fussy about character encoding. If your supposedly XML doc has
malformed characters (for example, if some UTF-8 got dropped into what you
think was ASCII, or ISO-8859 into UTF-8), well, it's not XML, sorry, and the
software won't let you do that.  This is controversial (many people have
historically thought it's OK to ignore internationalization problems) but
it's the way it is, you're stuck with it.

There are other parsers like TagSoup and one in xmllib2 that will let you
bypass breakage and go on working, but they're pretty big chunks of code.
-Tim