Hi TJ,
I would suggest you start from
playing-tweaking-extending-taking-part-in-development of real and not very
simple Open Source application which uses many of the Android features.
I personally started (three years ago...) from the Twitter Client
application which I'm maintaining now, see
https://github.com/andstatus/andstatus/wiki
It is quite well documented, has links to the related apps/documentation
and it uses:
- widget,
- asynchronous operations,
- data provider,
- account management (the Google's way. Like e.g. in the stock Email app)
- messaging between UI and background service, including retry queue and
message persistence,
- themes and styles for Activities,
- OAuth which is used in many today's online services,
- quite sophisticated SQLite database structure/management,
- internationalization,

On the other hand, the application is not so large as e.g. above mentioned
Email application: it really can be comprehended step-by-step.

Welcome!