So this is really a repost from Stack Overflow so that is out there in the
open. Here is what I am trying to do, I'm trying to get the screen to
"black out" when I run the app in question. I know this
sounds Spam-like but I assure you this app is being built in the best of
intentions. So here is the basic jist of the code I need a hand with:

WindowManager.LayoutParams lp = getWindow().getAttributes();
float brightness = 1.0f;
lp.screenBrightness = brightness;
getWindow().setAttributes(lp);

I have also tried:

android.provider.Settings.System.putInt(this.getContentResolver(),
android.provider.Settings.System.SCREEN_BRIGHTNESS, );

As well as:
        WindowManager.LayoutParams lp = getWindow().getAttributes();
         lp.BRIGHTNESS_OVERRIDE_OFF;

So Whats going on here?