I understand your problem is that the dialog box pops up when you hit
*any* key. This is the expected behavior; onKeyDown() is called when
any key is hit. You can filter out the desired key code by calling
getKeyCode() for the KeyEvent that is passed to the overridden
onKeyDown(). Then direct your action accordingly. In your case, when
you receive KEYCODE_BACK. Here's the relevant documentation for more
information:
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html
Hope this helps.