This isn't Google's opinion, it is my opinion.

If other people have found ways to do ads that work, then great.  As I
said, I am not morally opposed to it, this just isn't a design goal for
them.

And it sounds like you see ways to do things that you think are acceptable,
so what are you looking for in your original question...?