New to Android Development and was wondering if there was some way of taking
the users input to create an activity? For example say the user is going
through the process of setting up a profile of themself. One of the questions
is "how many pets do you have?". The user inputs "4" and then clicks the 'Next'
button (which opens the next activity).

How would I take the users input of "4" to create four editText objects in the
next activity so that the user can now input the name's of his/her's pets?

I'm an ok-ish programmer (have never touched XML before though) so you don't
need to go into much detail I just don't know how I would access this variable
to create the four editText objects. From what I've found out you can't add
strings to the resources at run-time nor can even edit/append files in
resources.

I was thinking of writing an XML file from java and making the activity
(obviously written in XML) read the XML file if that's even possible? Can XML
files read XML files?