Thank you very much Dianne.

In case anyone who needs help bumps into this, this is what I did:
Inside the key down handling function I added this code:
        CharSequence txt =
getCurrentInputConnection().getTextBeforeCursor(1000, 0);
        int len = txt.length();

        if ( len > 1 )
        {
        switch (arrow)
        {
        case KEY_LEFT:
        len--;
        break;
        case KEY_RIGHT:
        len++;
        break;
        case KEY_UP: case KEY_DOWN: //TBD
        break;
        }

            getCurrentInputConnection().setSelection(len, len);
        }

yakobom