I reported this as an issue and I have done lots of googling but I have not
found a satisfactory answer.

I work for a company that is using the Galaxy Nexus to deploy an
application. We have literally hundreds of handsets.

With the roll-out of the Jelly Beans OTA update we are finding that roughly
80% of our handsets fail to process the update. We are running stock 4.0.4
and the handsets are not rooted, our app does nothing special to the system
files.

This must be happening to thousands of ordinary phone users out there. We
now have the pain of repeated notifications to install and we do not have a
clean method yet to make these updates actually happen.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is google aware of it? Is there any
advice on how we can get hundreds of handsets to accept the OTA update?