On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM, frantz lohier <floh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like my activity to start without any display and, based on some
> criteria/user preference, revert back to displaying a UI/dialogue when
> onCreate() is called.

Have two activities. One is the Theme.NoDisplay one, and it examines
"some criteria/user preference". If those factors indicate a UI is
called for, it starts the second activity and finishes itself. If not,
it proceeds as normal.

You can see an example of that here:

https://github.com/commonsguy/cw-omnibus/tree/master/Maps/NooYawkMapless

The Theme.NoDisplay one checks to see if MapActivity is available. If
it is, it starts up a MapActivity, then finishes. If not, it displays
a Toast, then finishes.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in NYC: http://marakana.com/training/android/