I've searched answers on this question and most point to this resource:
http://www.reigndesign.com/blog/using-your-own-sqlite-database-in-android-applications/

Problem is, it's not working for me and it's the exact same code. I have my
sql file in the assets folder but I keep getting an exception when I try to
open the database after it has been copied over to
data/data/packagename/databases/.
I'm also wondering if SQLiteDatabase.openDatabase(...) returns null if it
can't find a file to open because it's returning an SQLiteException for me.

Is there a good way to use existing sql files? Also, what file format
should the database be in? Right now it is an undeclared file, but it is
essentially a text file. I opened it up and saw that it was a CREATE TABLE
command with INSERTS.