What is the best way to make an Android app AUTOMATICALLY execute a series
of certain commands periodically?

I just published an app called the Battery Saver Flashlight.  The source
code is on GitHub at https://github.com/jhsu-android/BatterySaverFlashlight
.

This app has a settings page, and I want it to AUTOMATICALLY update the
status of the WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS functions (on or off).  The
Bluetooth status and the GPS status lag the action of clicking the
Enable/Disable buttons and thus don't get updated.  I tried to use
ScheduledExecutorService to implement automatic status updating, but the
app kept quitting on me.  The messages in Eclipse said that I needed to use
static functions to avoid a memory leak.  Unfortunately, it looked like I'd
have to make everything in the script a static function.  So I decided to
leave this feature out until I can get it to work properly.  The user has
to hit the back button (returns to the introduction page) and then click on
the Continue button in order to update the status.

What's the best way to make my app automatically execute a series of
commands periodically?