Did anyone taste success?  I am facing the same issue with SD card
settings/Image application settings crashing with the same exception
reported above..
Here's what i did:
1. emulator -sdcard ./sdcard1.iso & (sdcard image in my current
directory)
2. adb push PaymentError.png /sdcard/
Steps 1 and 2 are ok . But going to SD settings , it goes haywire....

I am on

Ubuntu 8.10
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)