I've discussed this various places, this is one of them:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10963614/android-bluetooth-chat-sample-app-multiple-connections/10963812#10963812

The basic story is, yes, more than a few nodes is quite hard because
of some soft limitations and (iirc) flaky bluetooth controllers,..

kris