Try this:

emulator -help-audio-in

It will tell you which audio backends are available on your system.
You didn't specify what OS you are using.

I think there was also some sample code in the SDK at one point. Maybe
one of the developer advocates can point you to it. Another option is
to look for the source for the Sound Recorder application on
source.android.com. It should be in packages/apps/SoundRecorder.