Hi,

> The effect is that there is is no good distinction between 'private'
> and 'public' interfaces, since all intents are equally visible [...]

> Just being able to see the intent filters of other apps
> would be a huge help.

I doubt that this would be the solution you look for. If your
application saw them, it would still not know whether it is some
'private' or 'public' interface, and whether the developer would
change them without notice.

Now, you may say, there could be another tag in the intent filter that
says "this is a private intent filter" or "this is a public intent
filter". And of course, your application would only read and use the
public intent filters - right?

But what about those developers who forget to set the "public" tag in
their intent filter? (and wouldn't setting the "public" tag be as easy
or difficult as writing documentation in the first place?)

I can propose the following solution: We can introduce a new intent:
ACTION_GET_INTENT_FILTERS.
Applications can implement this to make information about their public
intents - well -public. Information about intents, extras, including
description, etc. is all passed back to the calling activity in the
intent extras.

Any application that would like to participate, could then provide
their information in machine-readable form to other compatible
applications.

Use case would be an application that could call very different
intents on the system, depending on some condition or event (e.g.
similar to Locale), and the user could select an arbitrary intent
beforehand from the list of public intents.

Would this be a solution that you would like to support? If yes, we
should discuss an appropriate format for the extras, and we could
start by implementing it in the OI applications.

Peli
www.openintents.org