I was hoping someone here might have an idea what causes this sort of
behaviour:

Throughout my application, in seemingly random places and in random
conditions I'm observing this strange UI issue. Images are on occasion
being loaded black (with the correct bounds) or with the incorrect image
source (again, with the correct bounds). This effects `ImageViews` and has
effected `android:background` tags with references to colour resources.

My application relies on 6 library projects, it runs Native Code via a
Service and Activities in the App use GlSurfaceViews (although, not all
Activities which display the problem contain OpenGL components). The
problem could I suppose be from any of these places or a combination of
them through using large amounts of memory.

You can see this behaviour in the following screen shots:

* This is actually a 6 or so pixel wide column separator image which has
been incorrectly drawn into my ImageView (the ImageView seems to have
correctly sized itself).

http://i.stack.imgur.com/fzfm9.png

* When going out of the Application and then back in again (repeatedly) it
instead appeared (and remained) like so:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/ILEWB.png

* After a Force Clear and a Clear App Data it returned to the correct
format:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/q4Xa4.png

As you can also see the Magnifying Glass image next to it is displaying
fine in each of these. The problems with these missing/incorrect images and
backgrounds seems to happen randomly, throughout the application lifecycle,
and I've been unable to find a way of reproducing it.

The layouts for these images are nothing special, I'm not doing anything
funny during the rendering lifecycle (i'm not overriding `onDraw()` or
`onMeasure()` or the like). The source of these images aren't being set
dynamically but via the XML.

As you can see from the above example, it's not a build issue as it occurs
between app lifecycles not between installs. It's also happening on
different devices, Samsung 8.9, Acer Iconia Tab, Motarola XOOM,

It seems to me to be some sort of error with the reference table, could it
perhaps have been nudged by my native code? Or is it an effect of me in
some stages of the application using too much memory?

My question on SO has more examples including XML layouts:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12562896/missing-or-incorrect-images-and-backgrounds-randomly-throughout-app-lifecycle

Thanks for your help!