When unlocking my android 2.3.3 phone on the simple lock screen it vibrates
once the slider is touched and a second time little longer when the slider
has been pulled completely to the other side.

I found it a little annoying and so I thought I could somehow switch it off
in the settings as I can switch off any other vibration.

There are actually two categories which might make sense in this case:

1) Sound Settings/General/Vibrate with the individual settings: (always,
never, only in silent mode, only when not in silent mode)
2) Sound Settings/Feedback/Haptic Feedback (on/off)

I had to find out, that none of these settings have an impact on the
unlocking action mentioned above.

So I googled and found some comments about the fact, that the vibration
cannot be switched off easily in the settings.

e.g.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=34040

Now I got curious and I tried to dive a little deeper into the android
sources and found the source for the slider here:

https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/blob/master/core/java/com/android/internal/widget/SlidingTab.java

It seems to me that the vibrate action is called regardless of any
settings.

Now I have some questions:

1. Shouldn't the vibration for unlocking consider the settings from either
1) or 2) above?

2. How would this be added to the source code and how would this change be
applied to the android source repository so that some time later this could
be migrated into the next android (if the sliding tab is used there at all)

3. Would it be possible to update the file  SlidingTab.java seperately and
test it on my rooted device or would it be necessary to do the complete
make for the whole android system and flash my mobile phone with the new
system in order to see if it works?

4. I have found other mobile phones with the same slider and no vibration
when unlocking. I am clueless how this can be after I found the prove that
it is not able to switch off the vibration in the source code.

thank you for sharing your knowledge with me

Nils