Update:

The next day, Nov 16, I gave up on that computer and decided to install
eclipes and adt on another machine. On that day there was a selection for
downloading either a 32 or a 64 bit version. I got the 32 bit and the name
of the file was adt-bundle-windows-x86.zip. I checked the file I downloaded
the day before and the name was adt-bundle-windows.zip with not indication
of what version. The adt-bundle-windows-x86.zip version did "install" and
run correctly. So the problem is solved. (Or else I made a mistake
yesterday and there was versioning and I was just error prone and did not
see it. There is evidence that I have made a mistake before....)

Thanks, John Brown