I am looking to write an app that allows the user to download 'data packs' into
a shell app so the functionality is in the one shell app and only needs to be
downloaded once.

It will be very similar to the way trip advisor has done their city guides,
except they have decided to create a stand alone app for each city. I think
this is messy and could end up with 20 or 30 city guide apps on your device.

Why do you think they didn't just do one central app where you could
(un)install each city separately?

Also, if I do my app with the one central app, should I have the city guides as
apk files that are basically just content providers, or install each data pack
into one central DB?

Thanks for reading

Russ