I was able to get everything working much better. In the end, it came down
to two things:

   1. Caching the result of the bitmaps at nearly the size used
   2. Decoding the bitmap using RGB_565 instead of ARGB_8888

This combined
with https://github.com/nostra13/Android-Universal-Image-Loader seemed to
do the trick.

Nick