You can get the name of the app that installed your app using:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/PackageManager.html#getInstallerPackageName(java.lang.String)

If it matches the Google Play package name, then it was installed through
Google Play.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Kevin Duffey <andjar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting topic.. I was just reading about DexGuard, which is about $450
> USD I think.. seems worth it to me if it works well and you're making money
> on your apps.
>
> Question though.. is there a way to know if someone bought the app
> (downloaded through a store it was published to) or just installed? If I
> wanted to put some data on the server side, so that only registered/paid
> apps could access it.. how could I ensure the app is a legit buy?
>

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Chief Yapping Maw <
> westernairli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Release 2 identical apps, 1 w/ DRM, 1 w/out.
>> Use entirely different names.
>> You will find that you will sell multiple times more copies of the
>> unprotected app.
>> Going back to 1981, our computer club would share apple basic programs
>> amongst ourselves, the "pirates".
>> Without exception, the programs we found useful we bought after trying
>> them out as a pirate.
>> Mostly this was a social experience, not an opportunity to steal.
>> Spend a little time working on easter eggs instead of copy protection.
>> New copy protection is like screwing a new tail onto a cow.  The smart
>> flies will chew your hide where the new tail won't reach.
>>
>> --
>>

>  --

Raghav Sood
http://www.appaholics.in/ - Founder